Mar 31, 2009

Steeple Chase


My wife is very smart. She devours guide books and seeks out information on places we go to visit. I of course know nothing about Gaudi. She rattles off all kinds of stuff about the guy's history. It usually goes in one ear and out the other. I do give her props. She is a great person to travel with. We arrived at this church Gaudi designed. I stayed outside and sketched. She went in to see it. Some people may not understand this. How can an artist like myself go all the way to Spain and then trek to the friggin Gaudi church and then not go inside and see what it looks like. As I've stated before, my time is precious. If I went in with Yun, then I couldn't have drawn it. It's that simple. The funny thing is that I never have second thoughts. I don't say to myself, Oh hell I should have went in. My drawing matters to me more. This is one of those drawings I was able to bang out quickly. Because Yun was not inside very long, I had to color it in later at our hotel. the coloring was fairly simple. I just memorized it in my head. By the way, what I wrote on the drawing is true. She did buy the most beautiful bottle opener I've ever seen.

13 comments:

dominique eichi said...

this piece is so beautiful. I remember year ago seeing this cathedral I just wish I had sketch it.

Tommy Kane said...

My wife actually went inside but I can't waste any precious drawing time.

ksklein said...

Any pics of the bottle opener?

kate b. said...

so many bricks! looks good

Tommy Kane said...

Bricks have always been my specialty.

ang said...

you are one funny dude.....love your stories, there's maybe a coffee table book it it!

Tommy Kane said...

Funny is my game. A coffee table book is on the horizon.

Anthony said...

Beautiful sketch of some crazy architecture. Weren't you a little curious how Gaudi handled the interior? I'm glad you stayed out and finished the sketch, though.

Tommy Kane said...

If I went inside then no drawing. I have to make tough decisions when traveling with someone.

Jeff C said...

When I draw something, I find that it is really etched into my memory. I can remember even little details of what I was thinking about when drawing it. So, I agree, it's better to focus on drawing something, than to walk around just looking. Travels that included a lot of sketching just seem more memorable for me.

Chetan Kumar said...

I like the way you cropped the building to one of its most familiar bits, an excellent drawing with great detail!

stefan said...

I seem to remember the inside being mainly scaffolding. More scaffolding than I have ever seen before or since - but still... scaffolding.

Interesting fact: Gaudi died when he got knocked over by a tram.

Hattermad said...

Not too sure that's a good enough excuse to not go inside a Gaudi...