Mar 5, 2009

Penpal


My friend Rama Hughes is an art teacher in California. He also happens to be a super talented illustrator. I got an e-mail from him one day asking if one of his students could write me a penpal letter. He was having his whole class contact different artists. Participating in this kind of thing is a joy for me so I said yes. A while later I got a nice postcard in the mail from a very young girl who did a cute little drawing of a Kleenex ad she had come up with. I remember what it was like to be a little kid and write to someone and wait for a response. So I packed up a couple of nice signed prints and I also included some real drawings I did ripped out of a notebook. There was a letter I wrote and some stickers (not my squirrel ones with the gun, the girl was too young for that nonsense). The big cardboard envelope I shipped it in was completely covered with a wacky drawing I sketched on it. Forget about the kid, I would have been thrilled to get this in the mail. Anyway I shipped it off. Today I got this nice e-mail from Rama.
I thank you. Aviva thanks you. The whole class thanks you! Your package was a big rule breaker Tommy but the whole class went nuts over it. A lot of kids wanted to rewrite their penpals right away to see if their penpals would send them prints or pages from their sketchbooks. Aviva was especially surprised and delighted. Even a little embarrassed at one point that she hadn't given you anything more than a postcard. Thank you so much for inspiring my class this way, I really appreciate it. xr

I'm a good dude.

25 comments:

Nina Johansson said...

You are a hero! Do you realize that Aviva will probably tell her own kids about this life-changing moment long after you are gone? You sure know how to make an impression! :)

Andrea said...

I totally agree! I felt the same way when I received your prints!

ksklein said...

You have a huge bunch of fans! Not only young girls by the way! ;)

Arty Velarde said...

cool story.. thanks!

The Cog said...

How wonderful. You are a cool dude...

Tommy Kane said...

Just a hard worker. I always go way over the top.

kate b. said...

you're an illustrative hero! love the sketch too, makes me want carbs (and lots of 'em)

Tommy Kane said...

I love all of the love from you guys.

Apple-Pine said...

Well, I agree - you are a hero! Mine too!

Margaret Ann said...

You are a SUPER cool dude!

Mark Hill said...

You are definitely a big-hearted dude. Great story. Aviva will most likely remember this for a long time.

Tommy Kane said...

I'll remember it myself.

Anonymous said...

You are a good dude.

Ed Beard

Anonymous said...

I have a new thing I do. If I can get a business name or address from one of your sketches I google map it (street view)and I can see a photo of the place. "vesuvio bakery brooklyn" worked.

Ed Beard

Tommy Kane said...

Very interesting Ed.

Anonymous said...

i love this drawing. Even objectively, your drawing is much nicer than the one they have on their website. Check it out.

http://www.vesuviobakerysoho.com/

yun

Anonymous said...

I'm 30 and I got that excited when I got your squirrel stickers!Stuck one up in the cubicle of a local swimming pool's female changing rooms so many more female fans to follow!

Tommy Kane said...

I'm huge with the ladies.

Luis Fernando said...

You're the man, Tommy. I mean, THE MAN!!!

angeltreats said...

What an awesome thing to do, that little girl will never forget that package as long as she lives!

Tommy Kane said...

I'll never forget all these comments as long as I live.

LitPark said...

That's wonderful. Rule breakers are the best.

Capt Elaine Magliacane said...

Yep lots of ladies are crazy about you... even really OLD ones like me. What a great story YOU are a good guy, and Aviva is a lucky young lady.

smallawei said...

視訊,免費視訊,煙火,煙火工廠,煙火批發,節慶鞭炮,傳統蜂炮,煙火,煙火,煙火,視訊,正妹視訊,真愛密碼,真愛密碼,衣蝶,衣蝶,AV女優,AV女優

喜洋洋 said...

高雄縣徵信商業同業公會
南部徵信聯盟
外遇觀測站
大愛離婚諮詢網
離婚大剖析
大愛徵信有限公司
尋人專家徵信服務網
女人徵信公司
華陀徵信
離婚協助中心
跟蹤蒐證徵信器材網
抓姦觀測
大愛徵信
溫馨徵信
成功徵信社