Jan 21, 2009

Lost And Found


In high school, my best friend was Timmy Valcante. Somewhere along the way in life I lost touch with him. He never left my mind though. i would think about him all the time. Recently I have reunited with my beautiful cousin Eileen. She was someone else I lost also. Turns out Eileen married a guy from my high school who stayed in touch with a guy who still knew the whereabouts of my friend Timmy. I got the guy's number and started out to track down Valcante's number. The problem was, the guy who had the number was never home. I called day and night. I'd try at odd hours but nothing worked. I was relentless. Finally one night Danny answered his phone, it had taken two months. Although we didn't know each other that well in high school, he remembered me. He did indeed have my friend Timmy's number. Dan and I spent an hour telling stories and cracking each other up. Finally I had my old friend's number in my hand. It was amazing and scary. I waited a few days before I called. It's never easy calling someone out of the blue. I cracked open a cold Red Stripe beer and dialed the number. His daughter answered and I told her I was an old pal of her dad. He came on the line and a great reunion began. It took a minute or two and then the stories flowed like a Sam Kinison concert. It was an incredible and healing experience for both of us. I had always been thinking and worrying about what happened to him and he was doing the same. We filled each other in on what happened to us. He married an old friend of mine from high school. Dolores. I was thrilled two great people who I dug so much found each other. Now we are back in each others life. Hopefully for good. I felt a whole lot better about the world waking up this morning.

23 comments:

kate b. said...

what a great story, and a great sketch too! liking the new header also...

got the stickers, thanks so much! i've been seriously considering where i'm going to stick them in my neighborhood, its a tough decision

Tommy Kane said...

the base of electric poles are good.

Jassy Lupa said...

It is amazing how a true friend, even when you haven't been in touch for decades, will be exactly the same person you loved within only 5 seconds of being reunited! The same thing happened to me over the holidays when I ran into an old art friend that I hasn't seen in 22 years! It took less then 5 seconds and we were right back to where we were when we left off! I celebrate this reunion with you. Also, the bic pen thing. Don't you find they lay turds ever so often, little ink messes that streak if you run your hand across them? Just wondering?

Jassy Lupa said...

Oh gosh, me and my typos! It really bothers me when I forget to PREVIEW before sending! Hope you can understand my hick spelling and grammar!

"when I ran into an old art friend that I hadn't seen in 22 years"

"Don't you find they lay turds every so often"

Cully said...

As you know I'm a huge fan of blue stick pens as a medium. They really can be quite subtle when used properly. Try the Write Bros. pens, the ink is "stickier" somehow and you get better darks.

(Thanks for the stickers BTW!)

Tommy Kane said...

No one has the skill with bic pens better than Cully.

joseph's art and stuff said...

this is a great story and maybe the inspiration i need to try to get in touch with one of my old friends. i've used several pens in my sketchbooks, maybe i'll try a bic... got the stickers, i think i should wait till the temps are a little warmer prior to improving the local light poles.

Arati said...

I love Bics as well - most of my drawings are done using a ballpoint pen - take a look if you like - www.aratisubramanyam.com

Tommy Kane said...

bics are very special

Günter said...

I like the drawing. There's a wealth of crazy-good Bic art on the nets. Check out this gallery.

Anetka said...

Hi Tommy:)
I left you an award on my blog, please pick it up and pass on:))

LitPark said...

Such a great story.

João Santos said...

Nice!! :D

Eileen said...

Yay! You finally spoke to Timmy, I am happy for you. Nice to hear he is happy. You will have to fill me in next time we speak.
Great sketch!

Tommy Kane said...

Yes we finally hooked up.

Sharon Frost said...

I like drawing with bics -- although I prefer Pilot Better Retractables. Old fashioned ball points feel like finger extensions. Actually I'll drawi with anything, but ballpoint is generally my weapon of choice.

The sketch is fabulous.

Tommy Kane said...

It's a pretty damn good weapon.

Andrea said...

My sticker thank you to you was blogged here :

http://biggaydragon.blogspot.com/2009/01/down-rabbit-hole-with-tommy-kane.html

letsblade said...

I found your website by accident clicking a link of someone's blog. but i like your doodles they are fun...i just doodle on some shoes the other day and it was fun. BTW where can i get some of those stickers with the squirrel?

Tommy Kane said...

email me your address at tom@tommykane.com

spacedlaw said...

That's a great story!
I love that you also got in touch with the BIC.

stupot said...

lovely portrait as ever Tommy - my teacher at art school gave me a hard time for drawing with a biro once. I, as you, quite enjoyed the experience - life would be too boring if we stuck to the same - a new pen for each drawing!

moistproduction said...

I too have discovered the subtleties of a BIC. It helps to have a little give beneath the paper like a self healing cutting mat or a few spare pieces of paper underneath. takes variables of pressure quite nicely