Nov 30, 2008

Margaret Keane


I wanted to do a drawing the way Margaret Keane used to do paintings. Everyone knows her work but you may not have known her name. She did people and animals with very big eyes. I did this at work in my notebook using watercolor and colored pencils. A lot of what I do is influenced by artists of the 60's such as Keane. Margaret's husband Walter tried to take credit for doing her paintings. They finally divorced. He said he had a right to all the paintings since he did them. She told the judge she was really the one who painted them. Keane actually painted one live in front of the judge. Her husband declined to do one. Obviously she won. Great story. She is still alive today. Kate Hudson is going to play her in a movie of her life.

9 comments:

Odd Chick said...

I love that you not only share a great picture drawing, but that you give us a little art history and art appreciation as well. thanks!

Tommy Kane said...

A rare treat from me.

ksklein said...

I have to admit that I didn´t know her and also haven´t seen her art so far.
But your drawing reminds me of Nadja Auerman

Jassy Lupa said...

Wow, I got to see that movie! I remember when I was a kid going to the Woolworth's stores and seeing prints of her paintings there. You were too young I bet, but they were a fixture in every Woolworth's in America. I thought they were gorgeous. You did an extra fantastic job on the eyes, they are liquid. She was so original when you think about it, considering her time and what was out there in the art world.

Tommy Kane said...

Yes everyone knows her work.

Diahn said...

I really like your take on the Keane style - definitively yours, with a nod to a classic.

Nicely done.

Tommy Kane said...

My wife says I spelled Margaret wrong.

stupot said...

This is a peach, tommy. The running ink works a treat. Well done!

Anonymous said...

Sorry for off topic, but 2012 is close, is this really matter?