Aug 16, 2008

Prospect Hall


I did another Photo shoot at a location called Grand Prospect Hall. If you click on the link and go to the website be sure and take the virtual tours.It is one of those big wedding hall joints but I've never seen one quite as over the top as this one. There was exotic room after exotic room. A single family has owned it since the late 80's. They basically restored the whole place themselves. There have been many events there. Lots of political shindigs with Rudy Guiliani, Hillary Clinton, Bush and Bloomberg. One of the sons showed us around. Back in the 30's Al Capone hung out there. It was a famous speak easy. He showed us a private little hidden bar. It was Al Capone's favorite room. He always sat with his back to the wall so he could see who approached him. There were hidden buzzers under the table that he could push if he sensed danger. If he did, many goons would suddenly appear. He said it was in that room that Capone was attacked with a knife and cut in the face. That's how he got the nickname Scarface. I did a little research and found out it didn't happen there. I don't know who to believe. Anyway it's an amazing creepy place like nothing you've ever seen.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Envy.
Not China, not all the cities of Europe, not even all the shiny folks you have met, provoked this reaction. But in the presence of this, I am humbled. I always loved the TV comercials for this joint. Especially the tag line delivered in the oddly accented cadence, of the elderly couple I have always thought were the owners. "Grand PROSPECT hall... We MAKE your DREAMS COME true." A true NYC classic. I see these guys every day. A true NYC icon. Crazy Eddiesque. Great drawing as usual.
Regards,
B.

Tommy Kane said...

They do have the best tv commercial.

Janiece said...

the colors in this one are very very nice
im so glad i stumbled across this blog, its so refreshing! nice sketches with nice stories, wit, or insight below them.

Tommy Kane said...

I'm glad to have you.

The Paris Apartment said...

Hi Tommy,
i just discovered you tonight and am in awe! Your work is exquisite, funny and timeless!!!!!
I've lived in the east Village for years so I see the beauty in the Meat Market, Yaffa and Block. But I ADORE your fancy buildings, your curls, your eye for playful details! I've put together a bit on my blog so come visit if you get a chance.
Your fan,
Claudia

Cecilia Levy said...

great drawing of the beautiful lamp in the ceiling, it took a while, I can imagine!

喜洋洋 said...

高雄縣徵信商業同業公會
南部徵信聯盟
外遇觀測站
大愛離婚諮詢網
離婚大剖析
大愛徵信有限公司
尋人專家徵信服務網
女人徵信公司
華陀徵信
離婚協助中心
跟蹤蒐證徵信器材網
抓姦觀測
大愛徵信
溫馨徵信
成功徵信社