Nov 19, 2007

Rudy


When I moved to New York 30 years ago, the place was a dangerous hell hole but I liked it. I would never get on the subway under any circumstance. There were drug dealers on my corner. You got attacked by squeegee guys at every traffic light. Crime was out of control. There was no quality of life. There were ghetto blasters on the street at all hours of the night. I just accepted that as the way things were in the big apple. The day Rudy took office all that changed and I mean starting on the very first day. There was suddenly police everywhere. The east village was covered with them. The place was cleaned up so quickly. I was shocked. Oh. You mean we don't have to live like animals. It was a real eye opener. You've got to give the freak some credit. Then when 9/11 hit, Rudy ran the country because we didn't have a president at the time. Whatever Rudy said on tv to do, I just did it. He was the man. Everyone I know hates the guy and I know he is a nut job. I also know he went too far in cleaning up New York. But there is a part of me that likes him for cleaning up my old neighborhood. I never thought it could be done.

6 comments:

Alina Chau said...

cool caricature drawing!

Tommy Kane said...

Thank you. There are a lot more on the way.

Jacqueline Hudon-Verrelli said...

Hey Tommy,

I was reading something the other day and I thought you might find it interesting since you're quite political with your illustrations.

http://www.newstarget.com/022308.html

Jack

Tommy Kane said...

pretty amazing. thanks jackie

Terry Banderas said...

Great drawing. Good likeness. Like all of your work.

Anonymous said...

as much as ole rudy 'lateral lisp' guliani gets credit for cleaning up new york city, it REALLY was bill clinton putting more police on the streets that did the job. corporations like disney buying times square up also made a big difference.
oh, and SUPER caricatures!