Oct 13, 2007

Hand Model


Not too many people know someone who is a hand model. I do. Years ago when I first got to New York I met a girl named Liz Barbour. She was a Ford hand model. I should mention she really did have nice hands. She used to go around wearing long sleeve gloves all the time. It sort of made sense back then in the punk rock days. Today it wouldn't go over so well. She even wore gloves to the beach. At a shoot, whenever you ask a hand model to just pick something up or turn the dial on a stove or something, they always do it over the top. They add way to much razz-matazz. That always cracks me up. Just pick the thing up like a human being. I will say that they are always cute and funny and great to hang out with for the day.

8 comments:

spacedlaw said...

A good friend of mine did work for an hand add campaign a few years back.
:)
It is true that the movements seem always slightly off : You could not imagine them burning their fingers on a iron or a pan or cutting themselves on a sharp piece of paper.

Tommy Kane said...

yes it's all very surreal.

spleenal said...

I imagine that hand models with smallish hands are best.
To make the product look bigger.

LitPark said...

That's the coolest story about the gloves.

LitPark said...

I could use a new Tommy Kane post about now. I'm starting to have withdrawal symptoms.

Madcap Machinist said...

I've met both a hand model and a foot model... I've always thought those were kooky jobs to have.

martha said...

I always wondered what it would be like to be a hand, of foot, model. Thanks for the insight. Love your sketch pages too...

America's Top Hand Model said...

It is such a fun job :) and the gloves are still in fashion, I wear mine all the time!!