Jun 3, 2007

Grab Bag



I was asked to participate in a book where artists are given tasks that they don't ordinarily do. I had to make a sculpture. This is what I came up with. I didn't have a lot of time to spend on it. So I found this hollow plastic head. I guess it's used to display hats or something. I sawed the top off. Then I got a nice plant at the farmer's market along with some compost. Then I painted the eyes and dripping tears. I went out near my apartment to a spot that had an empty cement pedistle. Again I'm not much of a photographer. I took a bunch of shots and hoped one came out. I left it there as is. I wonder how long it will last. Maybe some folks will get a smile out of it.

4 comments:

Ana Banana said...

It is beautiful...maybe they will laugh, or maybe they will cry.

spacedlaw said...

Very nice and also familiar to me as, in Sicily, they often make flower pots shaped as heads.
Normal terracotta pots or ornate ones.
I always thought they were very cool so really like your version. And having a sculpture that is alive is a real creator's dream.

Tommy Kane said...

Wow, those pots are great. I have returned from my trip so new posts will happen soon.

LitPark said...

Welcome back. I'm still on my trip; first time with internet access.