May 1, 2007

Underworld



I was asked to be in Underworld magazine. It's an online magazine. The thing is you have to do your own layout. So I chose a bunch of my old drawings and did these two layouts in the allotted size. Plus you had to answer a few questions which I kept to a minimum. The problem is I broke all their rules. One page was only supposed to be for my interview. I try not to follow rules. The questions were the usual fluff. I wanted it to mostly be my drawings. The magazine agreed with me. Turned out pretty cool. One more thing off my plate. You know how that is.

7 comments:

Ana Banana said...

Well I guess if an online magazine appoaches you, you are in a position to break the rules! Wow! That's cool. It looks good to me. And I think the art speaks for itself. I've always wondered why artist's need to explain their work anyway. I don't get it. If we could explain it, I guess we wouldn't have to draw the pictures to begin with. It's like asking an author to draw pictures to explain his book.

Tommy Kane said...

Good point Banana. I'm pretty clueless to begin with.

spacedlaw said...

Besides everybodyy is entitled to see different things in a drawing (or in a story for that matter). So explaining does seem a little pointless.
Nathalie

Tommy Kane said...

Also when I do interviews, everyone asks the same questions. How did you start out drawing as a kid? Who influences you? And on and on...

Claire said...

The layouts turned out really nice. And your drawings often have all this nice commentary on them anyway.

Susan said...

I sure would love to have a book full of your drawings.

Are you getting anywhere with selling your photographer sketch project to a magazine? I'll think on whether I have contacts for you.

imwithsully said...

I stumbled across you blog this morning. I love your illustration style! I just stared at everything on your blog hoping some of your talent would rub off. People at work were wondering why I wasn't blinking.