May 20, 2007

Ukraine


Yun and I live in a Ukrainian neighborhood. When they have their yearly street festival, I love to chow down on kielbasa and home made sauerkraut. I did it two days in a row. Yun goes for the stuffed cabbage. There is a big stage put up in the middle of the street in front of a beautiful church. All the grammar school kids from every grade get up and perform ukrainian dances. There are booths selling painted eggs, Ukrainian clothes, wacky music cd's and even strange dvd's too. Of course, there is old ladies selling delicious deserts. All afternoon our apartment is filled with the wonderful smells. It is like taking a trip to Europe without having to board a plane.

9 comments:

Jacqueline Hudon said...

I love that kind of stuff. Sounds like you live in a great neighborhood.

Tony said...

Great stuff.

Tommy Kane said...

It feels good to have my comments back.

Tommy Kane said...

Just checking to make sure I can still leave comments.

LitPark said...

Gorgeous day for frisbee and sauerkraut. Enjoy the festival, you two. The drawing's beautiful, as always. Same with the magazine spread. Feel like I went on a world tour with grandparents fighting in the background.

Ana Banana said...

I can comment! yipeeee! hahaha!

LOVE this drawing...always love the off-kilter look of your work...really gives a lot of character and charm in a kind of Tommy, quirky way.

Ukranian festival...sounds great!

Be@rbrick Lover: said...

Been reading your blog – it's fantastic! Wonderful illustrations and insightful stories. :-) I linked it to mine – www,bearbricklove.blogspot.com

Tommy Kane said...

if you love toys, which i do. check out bearbrick lovers blog. awesome.

simonstudio.com said...

...and my old office last year around the corner