May 8, 2007

The Human Vacuum Cleaner



My company has a softball team. It also happens to be pretty damn good. Our company is very large so there is a lot of people to choose from. I am the second baseman. I was under the impression that I was over the hill but it turns out I have a few good years left. My hitting and fielding have been quite good. One guy on our team was scouted by every major league team in baseball when he was in high school. He throws the ball about two hundred miles an hour and hits a homerun every time up. We could probably beat every team fifty to nothing but we just play for fun. Tons of not so good employees show up and we let everyone play and have some chances to field and bat, no matter how many times they drop the ball or strike out. It is a great way to be. There is too much emphasis on winning in our society. Win at all cost even if you have to cheat or play unfairly or take steroids or break rules. The same type of mentality has seeped into our government and workplaces. Everyone should get out and play a little softball this summer and remember, "it doesn't matter if you win or lose but how you play the game." Encourage those who aren't so good and just have fun. You may learn something about life.

10 comments:

Marcelo Braga said...

All theese drawings are great, man. It seems you draw with your soul. Real cool to see.

Tommy Kane said...

thank you. I guess i do.

Tommy Kane said...

i think I should have mentioned in the post that as a result of playing everyone who comes to the game, we always lose. we are probably the best team by far but we care more about letting everyone be involved that kicking everyone's ass.

Ana Banana said...

Tommy! You are SO cute! Is that okay to say, Yun?! hahaha! your husband is cute!! I bet you are, too. :o) I love this photo! And you are right, Tommy, it is not about winning...if we all put away the urge to beat each other over the head with a baseball bat, the world would be a nicer place.

Ana Banana said...

nice baseball post, although I am not a baseball fan. I was always afraid of the ball...you know, one of those girls who ran the other direction when the ball made B-line to my face. I love the drawing though, of course, wonderful!

Big A said...

Great post! I like your new banner as well. All the freaky people make the beauty of the world.

Tommy Kane said...

Us freaks have to stay together big A.

Tommy Kane said...

ana banana is right I do look cute. Some people think I look exactly like Derek Jeter.

yun said...

ana banana, you can call him cute anytime.

LitPark said...

That is so awesome. And what a cutie!