May 6, 2007

Hell's Angels


One of my neighbors happens to be The Hells Angels. They have a clubhouse on third street that's been there for a million years. My friend Ken Nahoum once photographed them. It was an elaborate process to get them to allow it. He was persistent and finally won them over. He struck up a friendship with a few of the Angels including the famous Chuck Zito. When Ken and I used to make MTV videos together, he would occasionally hire the Hells Angels to be security. Crowd control on the streets of New York. Sometimes he would put them in the videos as extras. One time we were shooting a Robert Palmer video and Chuck was there. A bunch of Angels on motorcycles were extras. During a long break, a bunch more Angels showed up. Ken and I had Harleys at the time. Chuck Zito turned to Ken and asked if we wanted to go for a ride with the Hell's Angels. No shit. Well of course. We tooled around loudly on the west side highway. That was some experience. When I was doing this drawing, one of the wives came out and asked if she could see my sketch. She was blown away. I told her I would mail some prints to the Angels. She said she couldn't wait.

14 comments:

Jacqueline Hudon said...

I really like the way that shadow looks under the fire escape.
Nice sketch.

Darren Di Lieto said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Darren Di Lieto said...

Does the face above the door have an eye patch on? :)

Susan said...

Wow on the story and the drawing. And I still can't get over that gorgeous sketch Paula did of you.

Tommy Kane said...

No eye patch on the face over the door. Maybe they should put one on.

juj said...

Beautiful sketch, I love the saturated colors and the shadow. Thanks for posting the link to Ken Nahoum's work. His photographs are amazing. He must have had a blast doing those matadors.

ed said...

hey, very nice!


('hot rod' is the best!)

Ana Banana said...

That's so cool, Tommy...you rode with the Hell's Angels?! You sure lead an exciting life. And I bet you look cool on a motorcycle.

Great image!

Tommy Kane said...

I look like a nerd on a motorcycle.

spacedlaw said...

That's a GREAT story !
(and a great drawing too, of course).
Nathalie

Pequete said...

Have I told you before that I love your drawings? Well, I really do and this one is no exception!

Pequete said...

Have I told you before that I love your drawings? Well, I really do and this one is no exception!

Ana Banana said...

I think bikers might be nerds in hiding.

shhhhh....I wouldnt' want to get into trouble with any of them though!

Tommy Kane said...

I LOVE WHEN PEOPLE LOVE MY DRAWINGS.