Apr 18, 2007

Theatre Of The Absurd



Absurdity is an artists friend. My mind works in mysterious ways. I think it is from watching too many cartoons as a kid. When I was little I got up at the crack of dawn, ran to the basement turned on the TV and filled my head with lots of funny stuff. I'd watch Colonel Bleep followed by Davey and Golieth, Gumby, Diver Dan, and Beany and Cecil. I really believe it helped me creatively. Bugs Bunny didn't play by the rules. I didn't want to be a policeman or fireman. I wanted to work on Tennessee Tuxedo. Come up with gags for George of the Jungle. When I was growing up there were seven channels and television was god. Now I have seven hundreds channels and there isn't a thing to watch. How did that happen? Drawing is my TV now and I usually tune into myself for amusement.

11 comments:

Ana Banana said...

These are beautiful drawings, Tommy! Yes, the absurdity in your work is what I love, besides the fact that you have great designing and drawing skills.

Yes, I remember having only a black and white TV with about 6 stations, including UHF channels. I remember Gumby, but not the others mentioned. I was watching Gilligan's Island, Three Stooges, I Dream of Jeannie, Bewitched, and Bugs Bunny, of course. Now we only get one station, and that is only fuzz. Gone are the days when TV was actually free.

Fika said...

Look great as usual! :) Do you ever get tired people say that? :D

ana banana I remember watching Bewitched, yes. My first introduction to magics!

Tommy Kane said...

Bewitched was great. Even with the 2 Darren's.

Karen Blados said...

okay, you remind me of my own nut job self! it's reassuring to see other people with the same warped view of the world. feeds into my fantasy that the rest of the population are the crazy ones.

awesome drawings and thanks for the laugh!

Amy C Evans said...

Love the double-meanings and yourdrawing style, too. Glad to ahve stumbled...

Tommy Kane said...

Silly is good.

spleenal said...

love the zebra with a little extra colour.
Makes me want to grab a real one and colour it in!

That's how we spell colour in England weird eh?

Fifi LePew said...

These are great! I wonder if the bear that ate "Grizzly Man" just needed an aspirin. Oh, & I like the curlyques on the zebra's mane.

here's how old I am...we had 4 channels. The only cartoon on your list I remember is Beany & Cecil. But we had Magilla Gorilla, Quick Draw McGraw and Atom Ant.

Oh, and the 3 Stooges of course!

Tommy Kane said...

Long live Magilla Gorilla.

Shell said...

I love the bear 'cause I have this thing for grizzlies. When I was young I used to watch 'Grizzly Adams' on tv with my grandpa - he could do the bear sound so perfectly.

Ze-bra - funny!

Big A said...

These made my day! A headache from chasing salmon all day! wonderful!