Apr 8, 2007

Jack The Ripper


I have an unusually large family. Hundreds of cousins. Tons that are still in Ireland. My mom and aunts still take great care to stay in touch with everyone. So it is not strange for me to get a phone call out of the blue by someone saying, "You probably don't know me but I'm your cousin and I will be in New York in a week. You think I could stay with you?" Hell yeah. You're my cousin, that would be cool. My cousin Jack is one such individual. My grandmother had a brother and four sisters. One of the sisters is Jack's grandmother. She had like ten kids who in turn each had like eight kids. The first time I turned up in Ireland, my mom gave me a phone number to call. I felt stupid because I didn't know any of these people but I called the number anyway. A bunch of folks turned up at my hotel. They drove me into the woods in the dark of night. We ended up at a little pub with a thatched roof. There were about forty people inside. Someone said, "everyone in here is your cousin." And it was true. That was only a third of them. They had come to meet me. I was shocked and overwhelmed, especially by how much they drank and partied. Wow, these are my people. I went to their homes for supper. It was a fantastic experience. So now you know why I love getting those phone calls when I hear someone on the line say, "you probably don't know who I am?" Oh yes I do.

8 comments:

Ana Banana said...

well that's depressing, Tommy.

I wish my family were like yours. I probably have tons of relatives in Italy and Canada...and here in USA. But I don't know them. My family does its best to stay away from each other! You know, like Italian mafia men who disown their children, and their wives, and their sons, and every one in between because they won't listen to the head honcho. You know, it's always inconsequential stuff like peeing sitting down on toilet. For some reason I never got the hang of that.

Fika said...

It's good to have large extended family all around the place. So wherever you go, you don't have to worry where to overnight.

Tommy Kane said...

You can also make up an extended family. You can make friends and lots of them who are just like family. If you make enough of them eventually they will also add up to a large family.

Susan said...

Banana pees standing up?

Tommy Kane said...

She'a a true bohemian.

Mike Rohde said...

Tommy, great story! It must be fun to have shown up in the little pub full of Kanes! :-)

I think you're right about building your own family. I just got back from a blogger conference in Chicago where I knew one person and left with like 30 great connections and another 80 people whom I can contact and know they will welcome me. Amazing.

So, make good friends wherever you go Ana. You might be surprised, like I was. :-)

Jacqueline Hudon said...

I just wanted to say that I think you did a really nice job of the eyes in this sketch.

Ana Banana said...

yep, Tommy is right, Ana the banana is a real Bohemian woman...she walks barefoot and bare-bottomed in forest at night, tells fortunes to anyone who will pay her, and pees standing up while twirling around on tippy toes.

Yes, lots of friends can replace family for sure. But given that all 16 of us in here also don't get along, always bickering and yelling, (traumatized by my mafia family for peeing standing up), most people think I'm insane and run top-speed the other direction when they see me coming.