Apr 1, 2007

Good Charlotte



I was at Laguardia airport waiting to fly to Toronto to do a photo shoot. The producer and I were suddenly surrounded by a bunch of tattooed thugs. Turns out it was the rock band, Good Charlotte. We started to chat each other up. One of them had a tattoo on his arm that I recognized from a Mark Ryden painting. He was surprised I knew of Ryden. I told him I illustrate. They looked through two of my drawing books I had with me. Everyone loved my bong drawing, especially the lead singer. One of the brothers does a bit of drawing himself. I gave them my cards and stickers. Turns out they were not thugs at all. They were actually nice well behaved young men. I believe the word is: Pros. When I got to Toronto and turned on the television in my hotel room, Good Charlotte was everywhere. There new album is huge there. They even performed a concert that was televised live on MTV throughout Canada. I wish the boys all the best of luck.

9 comments:

Shell said...

Hah! Though not a fan of their music (at all!), that's a pretty darn cool story. And you never know, maybe they'll be looking for an artist for their album cover or something in the future....wouldn't that be nice!

Susan said...

I like how you're going around telling people you're an illustrator, not an ad guy.

Tommy Kane said...

I don't mind telling people I'm an ad guy either. I am what I am.

juj said...

LOVE the airplane sketch. That is exactly what if feels like everytime I fly (tho your characters look an awful lot like actual people, and I always thought they were sheep.)

Ana Banana said...

hey! I LOVE your new header! AWesome!

And sketches are great as usual!

bong? I guess I'm not hip with things like that these days.

Tommy Kane said...

You're very hip Banana.

Camp O'Dea said...

Long time lurker first time blogger. Always great seeing my cousin's work. Good Charlotte is not one of my faves, but cool people are cool people no matter what they look like.

Need anything printed? Contact me - you know my number.

Big A said...

They are kind of a guilty pleasure for me ... them and SUM 41. How can I get some Tommy Kane stickers?

Big A said...

Oh and ... I'd like to see your drawn interpretation of Good Charlotte! ;)