Mar 17, 2007

Edward Hopper


My friend Butch Belair has really taken to this drawing business. He is now heavily into watercolors. Unlike me, he reads books about techniques. He studies, where I just plod along on my own. It's an interesting difference between us. He called me the other morning and said he was going to draw and would I like to come along. When I draw on the street, I always use my little camping stool. Butch has his own way of doing it. He owns a mini cooper. He parks it in front of something he wants to draw and draws sitting in the front seat. The music blares from his car stereo. We were in Brooklyn under the above ground trains. There was a lot of snow and everything was melting. Water poured continuously onto the windshield. I could barely see a thing. Also I was very unused to drawing sitting in the passenger seat of a mini cooper. I struggled but never gave up. I like the result. The place Butch picked to paint was very reminiscent of the old Edward Hopper paintings.

12 comments:

yun said...

this looks more m. c. escher-ish than hopper to me. this also looks a lot like the subway stop at yankee stadium.

Tommy Kane said...

Yankees suck. My drawing is not Hopper per say but the area we were drawing in was very Hopperesque.

Ana Banana said...

very nice drawing, Tommy...and good story.

Bruce said...

You did well for being under such adverse sketching conditions! I always wondered how my 6' 4'' frame would fit into one of those cooper's. Probably, not too well.

spleenal said...

Yes yun escher-ish or esk to me too, but escher always left me cold. It was always too tight and boring. I've always liked Looser stuff like this. It has more energy.

Walter Logeman said...

Very nice & pleased to find your blog, I will add it to my blog roll. I have been obsessed with digital sketching & your work is inspiring, I love the hatching. Gives it a Crumb feel, did he hatch?

I am from New Zealand. Right now particularly interested in your part of the world, will be there for two weeks later this year... to sketch!

Felicity said...

Great drawing and two very different approaches! I love Mini Coopers so I feel justified now to add one to my art supplies list!

spacedlaw said...

I like the atmospher in this - like in an old black and white gangster movie.
Nathalie

Karen at Pen in Hand said...

Your recent posts have been especially excellent - the drawings, as always, but also the stories about how you work and solve the little problems. Also, I would sit in the Mini Cooper just to sit in the Mini Cooper. If you buy a Mini Cooper to draw in it, can you turn it into a tax write-off?

Tommy Kane said...

It is a black and white film for sure.

margarida colorida said...

beautiful drawing... I like the result.

iPhone Cases said...

I like it...very whimsical.

The drawing makes me think of winter (which, by your text it was winter because your windscreen kept fogging over).