Feb 19, 2007

Manhole


I hate cameras. I'm not very good technically. Cameras are over my head. I own a nice Canon digital. The only problem is I can hardly use the damn thing. Recently I've been photographing manhole covers. That's right sewer caps. When I got home from Prague and looked through my photos I discovered a great manhole cover i'd shot. It intrigued me. So I began shooting all the different ones around New York city. Now I do it wherever I go. I have a really cool collection. It gives me an additional thing to do on my flickr site. You can check out my collection here. If any of my readers have a digital camera and come across any manhole covers in your town or city, please photograph them and e-mail them to me. I need more. Just send them to tom@tommykane.com.

11 comments:

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Great colours and loving all those different circles.

Jacqueline Hudon said...

That's cool that you drew that. I've noticed how manhole covers vary from one city to the next in the small amount of traveling that I have done. I thought they were a cool thing to photograph - but it actually never even occurred to me to draw them. Downtown Calgary has some really cool ones. I'll take a picture for you the next time I'm downtown. I never took pictures of the ones in my own city, but I should.

Bruce said...

That's one discombobulated manhole cover, but it's the coolest one I've ever seen. I've always looked at them with some weird kind of fascination ever since I can remember. I just thought it was a strange little quirk of mine. Detroit has some manhole covers that are weathered and full of character. I'll try to take a pic or two someday.

Tommy Kane said...

That would be cool if people sent me some shots.

Ana Banana said...

hey tommy!

You sure get yourself out there in internet land. Spent a lot of time at your flickr site! Wow! You are tremendously prolific! Great stuff as usual. Love the manhole cover photos...neat idea.

Great sketch, by the way...like the abstract quality.

yun said...

this looks eerie to me -- it's cool. i will take some more pics of manhole covers when i'm in tokyo and hong kong.

Fifi LePew said...

That's a great collection of covers and I like the drawing. Here I thought I was loco for taking photos of the things. (I like fire hydrants, too) I'll send you a few from Dallas, but I got disgusted on my photo project; they're all pretty much the same here.

Tommy Kane said...

That would be nice to get some Dallas sewer covers.

martha said...

Great colors on that cover! It almost looks oily. This would be a great series of sketches too.

I will look for manhole covers. Not sure we have them here in Berkeley, but San Francisco sure does.

Tommy Kane said...

everybody has manhole covers. take a look.

Nita said...

I love that the normally symmetrical pattern is filtered through your "wonky seeing"--this is a manhole cover with attitude!