Feb 8, 2007

Just Do It



Most of the time I start a drawing I have no clue of how it will turn out. Take the bird for instance. I was sitting at my office desk with a little free time. I found a picture of a bird I wanted to draw. So I just started drawing the sucker. Halfway through I had to go to a meeting. There was a magazine on the conference room table. As people were talking I thumbed through the magazine and saw all these fancy ads. To kill time I started drawing all the logos. Then I found a photo of a model wearing a crown, so I drew the crown floating above the bird. No real reason, I just liked the composition. At the end I put in some dumb words and added the diamonds. I really like the finished product. The drawing happened by not thinking, just doing. I made things happen because I was impatient to finish. So my stupid advice is, just start doing it and something will happen.

10 comments:

Ana Banana said...

Given that I am a bird lover, I especially love this piece -- a bird that craps diamonds! -- another funny and priceless Tommy Kane statement!

The wonderful thing about drawing is that when one "just does it," with no pretensions and walls, the subconscious mind usually speaks volumes.

Great work...I like the integration of the "Dairy Queen" in the second piece. I ESPECIALLY like the satire evident in most of your work.

acwo said...

I like your blog very much
keep it up!
acwo
http://tytka.blogspot.com

Fifi LePew said...

ditto what ana banana said - diamond droppings and all they might imply. I like your bird a lot, too.

As someone who's learning to make art, I especially appreciate hearing about your creative process. I'm still trying to delete that mindset that says art has to be "perfect" which tends to kill the spontaneity and also the joy of creating.

Tommy Kane said...

Fifi I think You got it. That's all you have to know in order to make art.

Nina Johansson said...

I love that way of working, just letting it flow, anything that inspires goes on the page. Love that bird with the crown...

Bill Z said...

I've been enjoying your blog for a while now but haven't left you a comment yet (I found you through Mattias' site)

I love letting the drawing come out on its own without making conscious decisions about it - this kind of visual thinking is a great source of ideas as well as its own inspiration

margarida colorida said...

beautiful drawings... to me, sometimes it happens the same: i just start drawing and then... something will appear!

margarida colorida said...

By the way, i would like to link your blog to mine (hope you d'ont mind).

Blip said...

Fucking love the method, but the bird and crown even more. Will come back.

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

These are both brilliant. The bird drawing is really beautiful. I love the Dairy Queen - especially the text. I too love the satire in your work. It's what really gives it that edge.