Feb 8, 2007

Bridget Bardot


I was contacted by a literary magazine in England called The Quiet Feather. They needed an illustration for a story. I laughed when I read it. A young writer working for a newspaper discovers Bridget Bardot's phone number amongst some old files. For the next 20 years he occasionally dials the number but no one ever answers. His obsession with her grows. Finally he has the opportunity to travel to St. Tropez, the place where she lives. Even though she is very old, he sets out to get a glimpse of her. He discovers a bar where he is told she lives nearby. She even goes there sometimes. His tenaciousness pays off. He finally sees Bardot. He sees her walking with a cane. She is dressed in black. He observes her looking up into the bright sun. He sees the tremendous history of her life in the aging decay of her once beautiful face. I found some shots of her online and used them to make my illustration. I dig how it turned out.
There is a great new blog by my pal Rama Hughes. it's called The Portrait Party. It's where artists can go to hook up with other artists to draw each other's portrait. You can draw someone and in return receive a nice portrait of your self to hang on the wall.

14 comments:

FerdinandKreozot said...

Oh wow!
Awesome work, beautifull style.
I really enjoued my visit.

Regards,

Milenko

Jacqueline Hudon said...

"... tremendous history of her life in the aging decay of her once beautiful face." What a great line and perfectly captured by your drawing. Very nice.

Tommy Kane said...

Thanks. Every once in a while I get lucky.

Ana Banana said...

Love this!

And what do you mean, "Every once in a while..."

geez...Tommy, you're putting out great stuff every day!

I do wonder about the end of the story. Or was that the end? -- he sees her after all those years and that's it? I'm glad old age can be seen as intriguing, but maybe there's a flip side to the story?

Cheers!

Tommy Kane said...

Sometimes when people meet their heroes, they turn out to be less than what you expected. In the end, the writer's whole goal was to just get a glimpse of her. He knew she had become a miserable anti-semetic a-hole. So he didn't want to approach her. He was also fascinated with St. Tropez. That too turned out to be a place with a lot of 75 year olds in bikini's as if time had stood still. Decay was everywhere.

rama hughes said...

hey tommy, thanks for the link to and suggestion to start the portrait party website. the coolest thing about it so far is that so many of my friends are suggesting REAL portrait parties now.

thanks for sharing the stories behind your illustrations too. that's something i love about your drawings from the first time i saw them and this post is no exception.

anyway! back to work! ~ r

Ana Banana said...

yep, I guess some things are better off left in the imagination.

funny...

"decay was everywhere..." -- that should make for a hilarious image -- 75 year olds in bikinis! yuck.

Bruce said...

That's classic. Those steel eyes are mean, man. What a look!

You'll have to give us a "decay in bikinis" sketch one day...

Tommy Kane said...

Maybe I will.

Susan said...

Wow. I love that.

Alina Chau said...

wicked!!

Paula Abreu said...

Guess I'm very lucky then, cause you did not turn out to be any less than I expected! ;)

spacedlaw said...

Susan sent me over from LitPArk to wish you a Happy Birthday (so best wisjhes from a stranger, while I am at it) and I stumbled upon this drawing which is magnificent. It shows BB exactly as she is, and I quite like the story you provide to go with the drawing.
Thanks for sharing this.

Anonymous said...

Any way to get a copy of the story id like to read it .plus I love your artwork.