Jan 2, 2007

Tooth Decay


When I was a kid and went to the dentist, it was the most painful experiences of my life. For some sick reason the dentist never gave me novocaine. He would just start drilling away. The pain was overwhelming, especially because I had tons of cavities. I just thought it was normal. That was the way everyone was treated. I was too little and scared to say anything, so I didn’t. I just took the pain and agony. The guy was a real nut job to do that to a little kid. He would always kid to my mom that he didn’t know if I was breathing when I was in the chair. I wouldn’t make a sound or peep. I was hanging on for dear life just like Dustin Hoffman in “Marathon Man”.

8 comments:

Ana Banana said...

I always love checking out your blog, Tommy, because some of your posts really make me laugh! This one tops the cake! (Laughing out loud)...you poor thing...you've got to be kidding about the no novocaine?! When was this? -- the dark ages?:o)

Sounds like a scene from a Woody Allen movie.

Love the sketch! Teeth look great!

Tommy Kane said...

It's funny because now I love the dentist. With all the new technology even a root canal feels like nothing to me because of what I went through.

Ana Banana said...

Unbelievable! --I actually thought you were kidding. That's UNIMAGINABLE that a dentist would do that to you and other kids, and your mother would watch passively! My God! You poor kid. Yep, I would guess root canal is a breeze after that.

Reminds me of a scene in one of the Pink Panther movies...

Tommy Kane said...

It's not that my mom stood by and watched. She had 4 kids and we were hard to keep track of. When I went to the dentist I went into the room alone. My mom was clueless to what was happening. I was so painfully shy I never said a word to anyone. Not to the dentist or my mom. I just thought that was the way things were. I thought everyone must get their head drilled with no pain killer. Now I know better.

R. Chunn said...

I think Lord Byron suffered from nighttime teeth grinding, also know as bruxism. You're in good company.

Great drawings as always.

Kaat said...

Hi Tommy
love your blog!
I had the same experience, in Belgium: no painkiller or sedative! Drill away. Also bad teeth. And also a grinder with a night guard! Wow!
Keep up the good work,
Katrien

best dental clinic Singapore said...

Tooth decay is the worst enemy of every kid. This should be a lesson for us, we know how painful it was so never let our kids experience it.

pediatric emr said...

Nice composition! I also same experience like yours. I know I am too scared to go in the dentist when I was young.

-mel-