Jan 27, 2007

Home Coming





I got home the other night and opened up my e-mail and there it was. Someone I had been trying to find for 30 years had found me. Linda and I went to the same art school, Buffalo State College. She was by far and away, the most talented artist in the entire school. We gravitated towards each other and formed a mutual admiration society. It's hard being an artist. Deep down or maybe not so deep down, there is always doubt. We found a support system in each other. I always felt Linda didn't really need any support because her skill and work was so superior to what anyone else was doing in school. Plus she was way more mature than I was. We lost touch after college. Over the years I tried to find her but with no success. I figured she was married and had a different last name and that's why I couldn't find her. About a year ago is when I finally put up my website and blog. She said she had looked many times over the years also. She had just gotten a new computer, so for the hell of it she googled my name and there I was. When we finally spoke on the phone, she told me she hadn't picked up a pen since college. I was stunned. Life got in the way as it can and she let that artistic part of herself go. I told her it was never too late, although I think she already knew that. She explored my blog and I turned her on to my friend Danny Gregory's site. She soon discovered she was not alone. There are a million Linda's out there (just none that are as talented as her). Soon we will all have a new artist to help inspires us. As soon as Linda is ready I will post a few of her new works. I am so glad to have her back in my life. Welcome home.

11 comments:

Ana Banana said...

What a touching story, Tommy. I can't wait to see Linda's work. I also know how it feels to lose touch with college friends -- those kindred spirits. I have lost a few and it saddens me deeply. How wonderful that you and your friend Linda have rekindled your friendship.

All of these images are just beautiful, Tommy. I am always amazed by your travels (Tigers...oh my!) and the objects, people and places you find along the way. Really interesting work you have...really.

Felicity said...

Wonderful sketches, I especially like Art School. I've been to Botswana on safari too and had that lion look - scariest moment of my life! I imagine the tiger was worse, lions are so lazy!

Great story, I'm glad Linda found you, it's really sad she's not been drawing. Why are artists so insecure about their art? No amount of encouragement ever changes what I feel about my own, it's a curse.

Tommy Kane said...

Linda would be smart to hook up with you two.

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Wow! How do you get so much work done? And such detailed work too. Amazing.

Anonymous said...

Oh my GOD! I love you!!!!!!!! I think I'm going to cry! I am so happy we have reconnected after all these years. That was such an exciting night for me when I found your site and we exchanged those first emails.

And for the record, I always envied Tommy's talents. He is being very gracious, but truth be told, he was always THE most talented artist at the school. Oh man we had some great times back then. It seems like yesterday, and it seems like 100 years ago all at the same time.

Love ya Tommy Kane!!!!!

~Linda

Bruce said...

That tiger is fantastic! I asked before about your usage of colored pencil because I thought that you were using a pen for the blacks, which I see now is pencil as well. If I may ask, how long did it take you to sketch that tiger?

Tommy Kane said...

The black is a pen. I do the color last with pencils. I use a uniball fine black pen. You can get it in any art store. Took me about 50 minutes.

Anonymous said...

Tommy,
Ok so, my mom was more mature then you? Just how immature were you?! I am 17 and more mature then she is!

Christi Lagana

P.S. I am in love with you Steve Madden ads.

Tommy Kane said...

I was as immature as one could possibly be. Taking me until the age of 49 to finally get married. It may be that you are more mature than your wonderful mom but she must have been a little bit mature in order to help make you what you are today. You may not want to admit it but your mom is probably a big reason you yourself are a wonderful person. If you had me for a parent, you may have been incarcerated by now. Also if you have a favorite Steve Madden ad, let me know and I will send you a signed print from the photographer. Your mom can e-mail me and tell me.

littlemithi said...

What a gorgeous post ... Hope Linda reconnects with her artistic side. In the last year or so you and Danny have both been an inspiration to someone who drifted away from drawing and ended up on a career path that really didn't suit her. After a PhD and life as a scientist I've finally found where my heart truly lies and am about to embark on a illustration degree. I hope I make good friends like you and Linda, although at 33, being surrounded by 19 year olds I'll probably be the maturest in class!

Thanks for being an inspiration!

Jana Bouc said...

I love your tiger! It's a reminder to me of why sketching with pen is so much fun and the results are so much more interesting than trying to get it perfectly by drawing carefully and erasing a lot. There's so much more personality in a drawing when you just let it happen and let it be.