Nov 29, 2006

Where You From?



I traveled a lot the last few years and for the first time it's been a bit of a problem. The reason is simple. George W Bush. Americans have such a bad reputation overseas now. Every time I speak someone wants to know if I am an american. I always get that same disapproving gaze. This has never happened before in my entire life. We only have to suffer for two more years, then he and Cheney are gone. Anyway I figured out a good move to get around the bad situation. Now when someone from overseas asks me if I am american, I say "No. I'm from new york." They always seem pleased. It's as if I'm from a country separate from middle america. So next time you're in Belgium or Spain and someone asks in that, George Bush hating kind of way, "are you american?" Just say No. I'm from new york and you'll probably make a new friend.

13 comments:

Terry Banderas said...

Terrific drawings. I like your use of color.

Melinda said...

I hardly ever leave comments because they come out sounding lame, but however lame this may sound, I absolutely love your drawings and this one in particular. Seeing it and studying it makes me feel alive and awake and anxious to go out and be in the world. Thank you for sharing your work online.

Tommy Kane said...

I am very happy to receive such nice comments from people.

Don Cocor said...

i added you to my links, i hope
you add me back.

wagonized said...

I love these two sketches. And about not admitting to being an American: i feel the same about being French in the US. When people ask me where i am from, i tend to give a vague answer like "uh, it's a small country between Belgium and Spain...", hoping people don't know their geography too well. And it's true -- a lot of people in Europe cannot make the distinction between a people and their administration.
Gosh i love your work.

Tommy Kane said...

Thank you don. Of course I added you.

Arzu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
arzu said...

lovely work! i like the written lines on the wall,as well as all the amusing detail of your picture.

Man!That's funny what you said about being american,I thought only we middle eastern born child hesitate to tell where we comming from:D
Sir i had a internet/blogger diaria, and had to change my web address but i tried to keep it as close to the original as i can.
so you just need to take the "S" OF MY blog address.it use to be "colorofmoments"now it's colorofmoment. please update:D

Felicity said...

Living in Kuwait, I saw this a lot. The first thing I got asked was 'are you American' and they always looked pleased when I said no. I've noticed the same thing for many years about the English too, I always say I'm Irish when I'm travelling but in reality I'm more English than Irish having lived there for so long. Hope Bush's removal will change the way Americans are percieved but I think it will take a long time.
Love the drawing of the sign, I wonder if it says something interesting?!

Tommy Kane said...

I made that fix Arzu. Sorry. Now it works fine.

Katherine said...

I thought the normal explanation was "No, I'm Canadian"?

Nice drawings.

Sharon said...

And those of us from Texas are doubly screwed when we travel out of country! ~Sharon

Tommy Kane said...

You're right. I never thought about that.