Sep 27, 2006

First Class




Yun and I went away for two weeks. In that time we flew from New York to Tokyo. Tokyo to Seoul Korea. South Korea back to Tokyo. Tokyo to Hong Kong. Hong Kong to Beijing. Beijing back to Hong Kong. The Kong back to Tokyo and finally back to NYC. So I was spending a lot of time in airports. I was inspired by my friend Mattias Adolfsson. He is always drawing planes. So I got into doing my own little versions. The trick was getting Yun to go along with getting to the airport early so I could do my drawing thing. I love how these turned out. The Japanese flight attendants went crazy for my drawings.

I want to give a shout out to Mike Dytri who sent me his great book, Bitches Brew."

7 comments:

Johnnie Scoutten said...

HA! These planes have personalities. Cool.

BTW, what kind of pen do you use that lets you add washes, I presume at a later time, so the ink won't run and bleed?

suzanne said...

I'm with Johnnie. The planes look as though they could talk at any moment. You've really given an inanimate object life. BTW, glad your flight was pee free. Your thoughts totally up the ante of your work!

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Amazing. How long do these take? There's just so much going on in them. Once again - amazing.

dibujador said...

fantastic drawings!

how lucky you are, you travel a lot!

Mattias said...

Thanks for the mentioning, did do a return on my site, it's like a roundabout. Great planes and work as usual

Tommy Kane said...

Thanks everyone. i use a uniball vision pen, fine. I have a tony winsor newton watercolor set and a few colored pencils. It seems to work pretty good. Thanks Mattias.

Johnnie Scoutten said...

Pretty good indeed. Thanks.