Aug 9, 2006

Ripleys


Believe it or not, when drawing in my notebooks I have never thrown out a drawing or ripped a page out ever, and I do mean NEVER. So if I start to draw and it's not coming out so well ( which happens quite a bit) I just keep going and in the end it usually looks pretty damn good. I know how to rescue sketches. For the first time in my life I ripped a page out of a journal. It was a brand new spiral one. It was my first attempt in that book. I was at my friend's farm in upstate New York. I saw a horse standing in its stall but as I began to draw, the horse would not cooperate. He would constantly turn his back to me. Usually I would wait him out but it was 100 degrees out and I was frustrated. And that's when it happened, I actually tore a page out of one of my books. I was a little ashamed. I even looked around to see if anyone had seen what happened. A few cows did but who cares. I crumpled it up and put it in my pocket. When I got home a week later I found it in my suitcase. I was drinking a beer or two and looking at it on the ground and all of a sudden, I liked it. It is not the kind of drawing I do. It was quick and loose with a splash of color for no reason. So here it is for all to see. Embarrassed one day, proud the next.

There is an interview about me at Artful Wisdom. http://artfulwisdom.blogspot.com/

7 comments:

Mattias said...

Hey, thanks for mention me, mean a lot, nice horse by the way

occasionalconfusion said...

luv the horse. I really like the "relaxed" lines, although you probably were not relaxed cuz the horse kept moving. But the simplicity is awesome...kuddos

EscapeHatch said...

Wow, for a throwaway that's damn nice! Excellent work!

Karen at Pen in Hand said...

The story was great. I don't rip out pages either, though I can relate to the frustration of feeling like a virgin sketchbook has been tainted by a bad sketch. Fortunately you saw the folly of your harsh self-criticism. The horse is splendid.

Sauerkids said...

Hi Tommy,

Great story :-)...and the result is amazing, love it!

best,
Mark
-Sauerkids

Garrett Miller said...

Tommy, had seen your site before (via Drawn, actually). Just received your submission to the Envelope Collective today and logged on only to find familiar work.

Thanks, it'll be up.... soon. We're backlogged. But the stickers will be making their way onto D.C. street signs.

Keep up the great work.

Don West said...

Hi Tommy,
Just found your site from Karen's.
That's a great horse and the color is great too.
Frustration leads me to rip and restart elsewhere as well. Perhaps I should look toward the sketchbook as a bit more sacred record. So far, mine have been an "art supply" in my view of them. :-)
Love the work you do...gotcha on my blog roll now.